Prompt: Write your own 10 commandments
This story contains content related to religion. More info
- / is the root of the filesystem. You shall have no other directories before it.
- You shall not lock documents so that other applications cannot open them just because they're visible to the user.
- You shall always properly encode text data. Allow Unicode if possible.
- You shall make sure input/output of a command-line program works properly when redirected.
- You shall interpret encoding correctly, and accept all types of line endings (at least 13-10 and 10)
- When accepting user input, allow using the keyboard instead of the mouse, and don't depend on keyboard layout.
- When outputting user-visible text, use proper spelling and grammar, and make sure it is localizable
- Don't depend on the user's ability to see color or to see at all. Also don't assume screen resolution.
- When inputting or outputting over a network, use standard protocols when possible. When inputting or outputting a file use standard formats if possible.
- Don't mix formatting with I/O.